Hi! My name is Haoran Zhang (in Chinese: 張浩然). I am a passionate teacher and educational researcher in higher education in Hong Kong, China. I have a Doctor of Education degree from University of Bristol (UK) specializing in flipped classroom research. Prior to pursuing my doctoral study, I had earned my M.Phil. and B.Sc. degrees from HKUST (Hong Kong, China), specializing in theoretical and computational physics.
I have been teaching a variety of STEM subjects at university level since 2004. I also conduct educational research in areas of flipped classroom, coding education, and educational technologies.
Teaching is a challenging task. There is no doubt about that. But through my years of teaching and educational research, I have developed the knowledge and skills to leverage modern pedagogy and technology to enhance students’ learning experience and outcomes. Euphoria Education is my attempt to apply my teaching methodology to a wider range of subjects and audience in a hope to benefit and inspire more people.
Euphoria Education is still very much in its infancy. I am currently engaged in various projects with local universities as well as producing podcasts and video courses in topics of science and data analysis. You can read about these projects and products in this website. I also tweet regularly about teaching, research and STEM. You are welcome to follow my Twitter (@phgod).
More about my Teaching
Just in case someone may be curious: The subjects I have taught include general science, physics, algebra, calculus, statistics, data analysis, research methods, SPSS, Microsoft Office, information literacy, study methods, and Java programming. A full list is given below:
- Exploring Science in a Social Perspective
- Physics for Building Environments
Mathematics and Statistics
- Quantitative Skills (IT and Mathematics)
- Quantitative Methods for Business
- General Mathematics
- Statistics for Business
- Statistics for Absolute Beginners
- SPSS and Data Analysis in Practice
- Data Analysis Workshop for FYP
- SPSS Data Analysis for Beginning Researchers
- Introduction to Information Literacy
- Introduction to Information Technology
- Introduction to Programming
- Java Programming
- Web Page Development
- Final Year Project
- Study Skills
More about my Research
Finally, here is a list of my publications in education and research:
- Wong, G. K. W., & Cheung, H. Y. (2018). Exploring children’s perceptions of developing twenty-first century skills through computational thinking and programming. Interactive Learning Environments.
- Wong, G. K. W., Ching, E. C. C., Mark, K. P., Tang, J. K. T., Lei, C. U., Cheung, H. Y., & Chui, M. (2015). Impact of computational thinking through coding in K-12 education: A pilot study in Hong Kong. In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Technology Education in the Asia Pacific Region. Hong Kong: Hong Kong Technology Education Association.
- Wong, G. K. W., & Cheung, H. Y. (2015). Flipped classroom for student engagement in higher education. In J. Hawkins (Ed.), Student engagement: leadership practices, perspectives and impact of technology. Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
- Lee, F. J., & Cheung, H. Y. (2015). Teaching effectiveness and outcomes-based approach: Perceptions among sub-degree teachers in Hong Kong. International Journal of Information and Education Technology, 5(5), 331–335.
- Wong, G. K. W., & Cheung, H. Y. (2014). Technology acceptance by in-service teachers in Hong Kong – preliminary results. In Proceedings of the Second Asian Conference on Society, Education and Technology (ACSET 2014). Osaka, Japan.
- Wong, G. K. W., & Cheung, H. Y. (2014). Analytical evaluation of technology acceptance in teachers training of primary mathematics education in Hong Kong: A preliminary study. In Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Computers in Education (ICCE). Asia-Pacific Society for Computers in Education.
- Cheung, H. Y., & Wong, G. K. W. (2014). Flipped classroom in Hong Kong higher education: an experience sharing. In Proceedings of 6th Annual Asian Conference on Education (ACE2014). Osaka, Japan.
- Law, O. P., & Cheung, H. Y. (2014). Japanese learners in higher education – What is their learning approach? Nihon Gakkan, (17), 30–43.
- Lee, F. J., Cheung, H. Y., & Chan, W. (2012). Evolving outcome-based approach in Hong Kong’s higher education sector: Perceptions and challenges among teachers. In 2012 International Conference on General Education And Student Learning Outcome Assessment. Taipei.
- Cheung, H. Y. (2011). 果效為本教育的機遇與挑戰– 以副學位課程為例. In 果效為本–副學位課程教學的理論與實踐. Hong Kong: 嶺南大學持續進修學院, 嶺南大學社區學院.
If you would like to chat with me about teaching and research, or if you are looking for collaboration opportunities, just contact me here: